Gratitude, appreciation and giving thanks for the SME community we have!
“Working together and adapting as needed, the SME Foundation has stayed on course and provided value and benefit to our members and the mining industry. Thank you to every Foundation supporter who has made an important difference.”
— Mary Korpi, SME Foundation president
As 2020 comes to a close, we have a lot to be thankful for and having you as part of our community is something we are truly grateful for. The SME Foundation would like to thank you for your generosity and commitment over the years. We want you to know how much we at the Foundation appreciate you. We wish you a safe, healthy and happy Thanksgiving!
The mission of the SME Foundation is to be the source of funding for education and outreach of SME and the community it serves. The SME Foundation fulfills its mission by supporting projects that disseminate mining/mineral information and technology worldwide; encourage professional development; educate children, teachers and the public about the significant role that the minerals industry plays in their everyday lives; build consensus for a strong, environmentally sound minerals industry in the United States and the world; and support college-level students and programs to meet industry demands for engineers and researchers in the future.
Financial contributions to the Foundation support and fund SME Foundation programs so they can continue to provide for the SME community and industry through education, outreach and professional development in these areas:
• ABET Inc. — is the accreditation and evaluation body for university engineering and technology programs. ABET provides quality assurance of the educational programs that produce engineers and geologists, ensuring a skilled workforce for mining/minerals companies. As an ABET member society, SME participates in ABET leadership and provides highly-qualified professionals to become ABET Program Evaluators.
• Minerals Education Coalition (MEC) — provides fact-based materials for teachers and students in grades K-12 and the general public, teaches the importance of mining and minerals in daily life and inspires students to consider careers in the mining and minerals industry.
• Ph.D. Fellowship and Career Development Grant Program — supports qualified candidates with industry and academic experience as they pursue tenured faculty positions at ABET-accredited schools. The program seeks to rebuild the shrinking faculty pipeline and strengthen the mining, extractive metallurgy and mineral processing industries.
• Professional Engineer (PE) Committee — performs non-examination work critical for the PE license. Focus of the committee includes continued writing and publishing of the Study Guide and Practice Exam, updating the Mining Reference Handbook; and participating as a liaison with the NCEES group and as SME representation in two ongoing national efforts concerning advocacy of the PE license: the License that Works Committee, and the Professional Liaison Organization Council.
• College Scholarships — accomplished and committed college students receive financial support to pursue degrees related to mining, giving them a head start in the industry and an opportunity to concentrate on classes rather than debt.
• Miners Give Back Award — recognizes the outstanding efforts of an SME Section for their accomplishments in community service and humanitarian outreach by members of the mining and mineral community to serve the mission of Miners Give Back.