Deloitte releases 2020 mining trends report
Deloitte released its 12th annual mining report, “Tracking the Trends 2020.” The report aims to highlight the issues that could have the largest impact on the global mining sector in the coming year and beyond. In this edition, the professional services network notes that while the mining sector has made significant strides to navigate through disruption and volatility, external factors continue to present a challenge.
The report states that an uncertain geopolitical landscape and technological disruption are disruptive factors as are increased demands from communities and investors.
“To thrive, some companies are addressing climate change and investor concerns through decarbonization and uncovering new opportunities through joint ventures. Miners are also revisiting their talent and diversity strategies, working to strengthen relationships with local communities, and seeking ways to create value beyond compliance,” said the report.
Now in its 12th year, Tracking the Trends 2020 features insights, strategies, and forward-thinking ideas that mining companies can leverage to learn how to lead from the front.
2020 mining trends identified by Deolitte are:
- The social investor: Embedding value beyond compliance into corporate DNA.
- Getting partnerships and joint ventures right: Looking beyond structure to governance.
- Seize opportunity amid uncertainty: Why miners should prepare for the next downturn now.
- Dynamically managing risk: From risk registers to strategic risk management.
- The path to decarbonization: Miners’ role in reducing emissions.
- On the road toward intelligent mining: Reviewing lessons learned.
- Modernizing core technologies: Considerations around cloud, cyber, and revitalizing the core.
- The intersection of talent and community: Proactively planning for the social impact of digital.
- Leadership in an Industry 4.0 world: Preparing to manage the mining workforce of the future.