Officials of the National Mining Association (NMA), the U.S. National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), the U.S Department of the Interior’s Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement (OSMRE) and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), joined together to honor top safety, environmental and technology leaders in the mining industry.
Environmental, Reclamation and Community Contributions
Five U.S. coal and hardrock mining companies won awards from the U.S. Department of the Interior for their outstanding environmental performance, mine reclamation accomplishments and community outreach programs.
“NMA is grateful to the Department of the Interior for showcasing how modern mining practices are protecting the environment while producing the minerals and energy Americans need,” said NMA’s Quinn. “We are especially proud of the five NMA members recognized for their exceptional environmental performance and commitment to the communities in which they work.”
OSMRE 2017 winners include:
- National Award: Coal Mac, LLC (Arch Coal) Pine Creek 2 Surface Mine, Omar, West Virginia
- National Award: Cloud Peak Energy Spring Creek Mine, Decker, Montana
- Good Neighbor Award: Thunder Basin Grasslands Prairie Ecosystem Association (the award lists five current or former association members: Arch Coal, Cloud Peak Energy, Contura Energy, Kiewit Mining Group and Peabody)
BLM 2017 winners include:
- Hardrock Mineral Environmental Award: Teck American Incorporated
- "Fix a Shaft Today”: Havasu 4 Wheelers
- Hardrock Mineral Small Operator Award: Tertiary Minerals, US Inc.
- Hardrock Mineral Small Operator Award: XII Caesars Gold LLC
In addition, NIOSH awarded Mine Safety and Health Technology Innovations Awards, which recognize the significant advancements in mining technology by the mining industry that have made mining both safer and more productive.
“This year’s NIOSH awardees – all of whom are NMA members – are prime examples of modern mining’s highly innovative culture that constantly applies technological advancements to achieve production, safety and environmental objectives,” said NMA’s Quinn. “We applaud their efforts and leadership in this important area.”
The following companies were recognized for 2017:
- Kinross Gold