ME home
 
  SME FaceBook SME Twitter SME LinkedIn RSS Feed

Subscriber or
SME Member Log On

WEB-ONLY CONTENT

Go to SME eNEWS

MINING INDUSTRY EVENTS

Al Azhar‚Äôs 14th International Conference on: Engin  - Conference
Dec 12, 2017 - Dec 14, 2017
WM2E 2017 Energy Tech Expo  - Exhibit
Dec 14, 2017 - Dec 16, 2017
George Fox Conference  - Conference
Jan 24, 2018
2018 SME Annual Conference & Expo  - Conference
Feb 25, 2018 - Feb 28, 2018

METAL PRICES


Au
Ag
Pt
Pd
Ni
Cu
Al
Pb

AGGREGATES
AND MINERALS
MARKETPLACE


http://aggregatesmineralsmarketplace.com
The Mining Engineering, SME and NSSGA
Online Buyers Directory Site
The Online Global Mining and Minerals Library Site

Rio Tinto and Mongolia reach an agreement on Oyu Tolgoi
May 19, 2015

Work on the $5 billion Oyu Tolgoi project could resume soon thanks to an agreement for a multi billion dollar expansion at the mine reached between Rio Tinto and the government of Mongolia.

In a statement the two sides agreed on a financing plan for the next phase which “addresses the key outstanding shareholder issues and sets out an agreed basis for the funding of the project.”

Construction of the copper project that includes open pit and underground operations was stopped as Rio Tinto and the government clashed on issues of taxes and the costs of building the underground portion of the mine that Rio Tinto said will unlock 80 percent of the copper at the deposit. It is the largest foreign investment in Mongolia, The New York Times reported.

The delays came at difficult time for Rio Tinto which also struggled with slipping commodity prices. Mongolia’s new prime minister stepped in to resolve the issues.

“Oyu Tolgoi is a world-class copper-gold asset and its further development is of great economic significance for Mongolia,” the prime minister, Chimediin Saikhanbileg, said in a statement.

Turquoise Hill Resources, a majority-owned subsidiary of Rio Tinto, owns 66 percent of Oyu Tolgoi, while the Mongolian government owns the remaining 34 percent.

The first phase open pit mine has been producing cooper since 2013.

Before development of the much larger underground mine can begin, Rio Tinto said the project will need to finalize financing, conduct a feasibility study and secure all necessary permits.

“Our joint announcement today reflects tremendous leadership by all parties and paves the way for work to resume on the underground development, which is expected to deliver significant value to shareholders,” Jean-Sébastien Jacques, chief executive of Rio Tinto’s copper and coal group, said in a statement.

Related article search:
 Rio Tinto   Mongolia   copper